Abbildungen der Seite

dropping to pieces, and even the iron work was so rusty that it was worth nothing. They also went on board the Falmouth to examine her hulk, and found her in so shattered a condition, that in their opinion she could not be kept together during the next monsoon. Many of her ports were washed into one, the stern-post was quite decayed, and there was no place in her where a man could be sheltered from the weather." The few people who belonged to her were in as bad a state as their vessel, being quite broken and worn down, and expecting to be drowned as soon as the monsoon should set in.

Among other necessaries, we were in want of an anchor, having lost two, and of three-inch rope for rounding the cables; but the officers whom I had sent to procure these articles, reported, that the price which had been demanded for them was so exorbitant, that they had not agreed to give it.' On Saturday the 5th, therefore, I went on shore myself, for the first time, and visited the different storehouses and arsenals, but found it impossible to make a better bargain than my officers. I suspected that the dealers took advantage of our apparent necessity, and supposiag that we could not sail without what we had offered to purchase, determined to extort from us more than four times its value. I was, however, resolved to make any shift rather than submit to what I thought a shameful imposition, and

therefore told them that I should certainly sail on the next Tuesday; that if they would agree to my terms in the mean time, I would take the things I had treated for; if not, that I would sail without them. jesti

Soon after I returned on board, I received a petition from the warrant-officers of the Falmouth, representing, that "there was nothing for them to look after: That the gunner bad been long dead, and his stores spoiled, particularly the powder, which, by order of the Datch, had been thrown into the sea': That the boatswain, by vexation and distress, had lost his senses, and was then a deplorable object in a Dutch hospital. That all his stores had been long spoiled and rotten, the roof of the storehouse having fallen in during a wet monsoon, and left them exposed many months, all endeavours to procure another place to put them in being ineffectual : That the carpenter was in a dying condition, and the cook &' wounded cripple." For these reasons they requested that I would take them home, or at least dismiss them from their


in their eyes.

charge. It was with the greatest regret and compassion that I told these unhappy people it was not in my power to relieve them, and that as they had received charge of stores, they must 'wait orders from home. They replied, that they had never received a single order from England since they had been left here, and earnestly entreated that I would make their distress known, that it might be relieved. They had, they said, ten years pay due, in the expectation of which they were grown old, and which now they would be content to forfeit, and


home sweepers, rather than continue to suffer the miseries of their present situation, which were indeed very great. They were not suffered to spend a single night on shore, whatever 'was their condition, and when they were sick, no one visited them on board ; they were, besides, robbed by the Malays, and in perpetual dread of being destroyed by them, as they had a short time before burnt the Siam prize. I assured them that I would do my utmost to procure them relief, and they left me with tears

As I heard nothing more of the anchor and rope for which I had been in treaty, I made all ready for sea. The ship's company had continued healthy and sober, and been served with fresh beef every day, from the time of our first coming to an anchor in the Road; we had also some beef, and a live ox, to carry out with us. We had now only one man upon the sick list, except a seaman, who had been afflicted with rheumatic pains ever since our leaving the Streight of Magellan: And at six o'clock in the morning, of Tuesday the 8th of December, after a stay of just one week, we set sail.

On the 11th, at noon, we were off a small island called the Cap, between the coasts of Sumatra and Java, and several of our people fell down with colds and fluxes. The next day, a Dutch boat came on board, and sold us some turtle, which was served to the ship's company. At night, being at the distance of about two miles from the Java shore, we saw an incredible number of lights upon the beach, which we supposed were intended to draw the fish near it, as we had seen the same appearance at other places.

On Monday the 14th, we anchored off Prince's Island, and began to take in wood and water. The next morning, the natives came in with turtle, poultry, and hog-deer, which We bought at a reasonable price. We continued here, fitting the ship for the sea, till the 19th, daring which time many of the people began to complain of intermitting disa orders, something like an ague, At six o'clock the next morning, having completed our wood, and taken on board seventy-six tons of water, we made sail.


While we lay here, one of the seamen fell from the mainyard into the barge, which lay along-side the ship. His body was dreadfully bruised, and many of his bones were broken: It happened also, that in his fall he struck two other men, one of whom was so much hur?

he continued speechless till the 24th, and then died, though the other had only one of his loes broken. We had now no less than sixteen upon the sick list, and by the 1st of January, the num. ber was increased to forty; we had buried three, among whom was the quarter-master, George Lewis, who was a diligent, sober man, and the more useful, as he spoke both the Spanish and Portuguese languages. The diseases by which we suffered, were fluxes, and feyers of the putrid kind, which are always contagious, and, for that reason alone, would be more fatal on board a ship than any other. The surgeon's mate was very soon laid up, and those who were appointed to attend the sick, were always taken ill in a day or two after they had been upon that service. To remedy this evil, as much as it was in my power, I made a very large birth for the sick, by removing a great number of people from below to the half deck, which I hung with painted canvas, keeping it constantly clean, and directing it to be washed with vinegar, and fumigated once or twice a day. Our water was well tasted, and was kept constantly ventilated; a large piece of iron, also, used for the melting of tar, and called a loggerhead, was heated red-hot, and quenched in it before it was given out to be drank. The sick had also wine instead of grog, and salep or sago every morning for breakfast: Two days in a week they had mutton broth, and had a fowl or two given them on the intermediate days; they had, besides, plenty of rice and sugar, and frequently malt meshed; so that perhaps people in a sickly ship had never so many refreshments before : The surgeon also was indefatigable, yet, with all these advantages, the sickness on board gained ground. In the mean time, to aggravate our misfortune, the ship made more than three feet water in a watch; and all her upper works were very open and loosc



[ocr errors]

By the 10th of January, the sickness began, in some degree, to abate, but more than half the company were 50 feeble, that they could scarcely crawl about. On this day, being in latitude 22° 41' S., longitude, by account, 300° 47' W. we saw many tropic birds about the ship to

On the 17th, being in latitude 27° 32' S., longitude 310 36' W., we saw several albatrosses, and caught some bonettas. : The ship was this day ten miles to the southward of her account.

a) happy songe $4.0?a water On the 24th, in latitude 33° 40' S., longitude, by account, 328° 17' W., we met with a violent gale, which split the main-top-sail and the main-top-mast, stay-sail all to pieces. The sea broke over the ship in a dreadful manner, the starboard rudder chain was broken, and many of the booms were washed overboard, o During the storm we saw several birds and butterflies, and our first attention, after it was subsided, was to dry the bedding of the siek: At the same time, every one on board who could handle a needle was einployed in repairing the sails, which were now in a shattered condition. They

On the 26th and 27th, being in latitude 34° 16', and becalmed, we had several observations, by which we deter-. inined the longitude of the ship to be! 328 90and it appeared that we were several degrees to the eastward of our reckonings 217.102

At six in the evening, of the 30th of January, we saw land, and on the 4th of February, we anchored in Table Bay, at the Cape of Good Hope. }??s disky siit si

Our run from Prince's Island to the Cape was, by our reckoning, 89 degrees longitude, which makes the longitude of the Cape 345° W., but the longitude of the Cape being, by observation, 342° 4', it appeared that the ship was three degrees to the eastward of her reckoning.

[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]
[ocr errors]


An Account of our Transactions at the Cape of Good Hope,

and of the Return of the Dolphin to England. As soon as the ship was at anchor, I sent an officer on shore, with the usual compliments to the governor,

who received him with great civility, telling him that we were welcome to all the refreshments and assistance that the Cape afforded, and that he would return our salute with the same number of guns:0""! 8'5"}]


We found riding here a Dutch commodore, with sixteen sail of Dutch East Indiamen, a French East India ship, and the Admiral Watson, Captain Griffin, an East India packetboat, for Bengal." We saluted the governor' with thirteen gups, and he returned the same number; the Admiral Wat. son saluted us with eleven guns, and we returned nine; the French ship afterwards saluted us with nine guns, and we returned seven.

Having got off some mutton for the ship's company,' with plenty of greens; I sent the surgeon on shore to hire quarters for the sick, but he could procure none for less than two shillings a day, and a stipulation to pay more, if any of them should take the small-pox, which was then in almost every house, in proportion to the malignity of the disease. The first expence being great, and it appearing, upon enquiry, that many of our people had never had the small-pox, so that the increase was likely to be considerable, besides the danger, I requested the governor's permission to ta tent upon a spacious plain, 'at about two miles distance from the town, called Green Point, and to send my people on shore thither during the day, under the care of an officer, to prevent their straggling. This permission the governor immediately granted, and gave orders that they should suffer no molestation. )

In this place, therefore, I ordered tents to be erected, and the surgeon and his mate, with proper officers, to at tend;

at the same time strictly charging that no man should be suffered to go into the town, and that no liquor should be brought to the tents. All the 'sick, except two, left the ship early in the morning, with their provisions and firing ; and for those that were reduced to great weakness, I ordered the surgeon to procure such extraordinary provisions as he should think proper, particularly milk, though it was sold at an excessive price. About six in the evening they returned on board, and seemed to be greatly refreshed. At the same time, being extremely ill myself, I was obliged to be put on shore, and carried about eight miles up the country, where I continued all the time the ship lay here; and when she was ready to sail, returned on board without having received the least benefit.


« ZurückWeiter »