« ZurückWeiter »
THIS is a practice book to train the language power of
1 boys and girls. Composition is an art; and it is only through repeated practice, well motivated, that skill in any art is attained. We learn by “doing.”
The author has kept constantly in mind the actual language. needs of everyday life, the nature of the boy and the girl, the really used matters of theory, and the most advanced pedagogical thought as expressed in progressive courses of study and investigations.
The three main objects of the book are: (1) to make correct language habits automatic; (2) to develop the pupil's thinking power and to give him richer backgrounds of life; and (3) to make him enjoy his work by weaving language around the doing of real things — projects.
The book contains work for two years of the upper elementary grades, developed in twenty projects. The special features are:
1. Forty projects adapted for class work — each providing opportunity for “purposeful activity” on the part of the class and exercise of individual initiative.
2. The socialized recitation — club organization, class as audience, coöperative team work, discussion groups, program periods, committee work, and voting.
3. Individual differences in pupils — recognized and 'frequently provided for in the assignments.
4. Training in thought-getting and organization — preventing failure by systematic getting and organizing of ideas.
5. Much supervised class work and teaching of how to study — giving the concrete demonstration that the poor pupil needs.