« ZurückWeiter »
Oral Exercise. In the following sentences, which words show possession? Which are singular? Which plural?
1. What doth the poor man's son inherit?
2. Rip's story was soon told.
3. The dwarfs' chain was the strongest ever made.
4. A Roman's arms, a Roman's life,
And hurl it afar off;
The light thou beholdest
Jove is my brother;
Mine eyes are the lightning;
Force rules the world still,
HENRY WADSWORTH LONGFELLOW: The Saga of King Olaf.
fast'ness, place that remains fast or firm or safe, fortress; Jove, Jupiter or Zeus.
1. Why does Thor call himself "the Thunderer"? 2. What part of the world is referred to by "Northland"? 3. What are sorcerers? 4. What light is referred to in the fourth stanza? Have you ever seen this light? What does Thor say causes it? What is it really? 5. Who was Jove? By what other name is he known? Why does Thor call him "brother"? 6. Give the old Norse belief as to the cause of lightning, thunder, earthquakes.
Sings of his earthly bridal
Priest, knights, and ladies gay. "And who art thou," the priest began,
"Sir Knight, who wedd'st to-day?"
"I am no knight," he answered;
"From the sea waves I come." The knights drew sword, the ladies scream'd, The surplic'd priest stood dumb.
He sings how from the chapel
He sings how she sits weeping
He sings how through the billows
And sought a priest to sign the cross,
He sings how, on an evening,