Was andere dazu sagen - Rezension schreiben
Es wurden keine Rezensionen gefunden.
Andere Ausgaben - Alle anzeigen
abundance acres Admiralty Bay amongst appearance arrival Bay of Islands beach beak bird boat British canoes Cape Farewell Captain Hobson chiefs climate Cloudy Bay coast colonists colony colour Company's Cook's Strait cultivation despatched Directors district Ditto emigrants England English Entry Island establishment Europeans fathoms favourable feathers feet flax formed gale harbour head hills Hokianga Kafia Kaipara Kapiti labour land London Lord Majesty's Majesty's Government ment miles missionaries Motuara mountains natives New-Zealand Ngatiawas Northern Island obtain plumage Port Jackson Port Nicholson possession potatoes present principal purchase Queen Charlotte's Sound Raupero residence respect river settlement settlers Ship Cove shore side soil South Wales southern species spot squally Strong breezes Sydney Taranake Teawaiti territory timber tion Tory Channel tracts tree tribe vessels visited voyage Waikanai Wanganui Warepori whale whole wind wood Zealand Company Zealand flax
Seite 81 - All this is very surprising, when it is considered that five years ago nothing but the fern flourished here. Moreover, native workmanship, taught by the missionaries, has effected this change ; — the lesson of the missionary is the enchanter's wand.
Seite 118 - Above all, you will be especially careful that all the owners of any tract of land which you may purchase shall be approving parties to the bargain, and that each of them receives his due share of the purchase money.
Seite 62 - If, in the neighbourhood of the commercial and literary town of Glasgow, a race of cannibals has really existed, we may contemplate, in the period of the Scottish history, the opposite extremes of savage and civilised life.
Seite 194 - READINGS in ENGLISH PROSE LITERATURE Containing choice Specimens of the Works of the best English Writers, From LORD BACON to the Present Time. With ESSAYS on the PROGRESS of ENGLISH LITERATURE.
Seite 81 - ... When I looked at this whole scene I thought it admirable. It was not merely that England was brought vividly before my mind ; yet, as the evening drew to a close, the domestic sounds, the fields of corn, the distant undulating country with its trees, might well have been mistaken for our father-land.
Seite 128 - Ward, pp. 127, 128. The Colonel goes on to say, — ' Of the 99,990/. to be paid to the company by purchasers, 25 per cent, only, or 24,997/. 10s., will be reserved to meet the expenses of the company. The remainder, being 75 per cent., or 74,992^. 10s., will be laid out by the company for the exclusive benefit of the purchasers, in giving value to the land sold, by defraying the cost of emigration to this first and principal settlement.
Seite 194 - READINGS IN NATURAL THEOLOGY; Or, the Testimony of Nature to the Being, Perfections, and Government of God.
Seite 193 - FABLES and MORAL MAXIMS, in PROSE and VERSE. Selected by ANNE PARKER. With One Hundred Wood-Cuts. 3s. 6d.