Abbildungen der Seite

The we found- the ship,; which had.for 1767some time been to the northward of her reckoning, yem 'eight miles to the southward.:;; ;•';;;- .. .' . ....:.'. Thursd. 5.

We continued our course, often sounding, but finding no bottom. On the 7th we passed through several Saturd. 7ripplings of a current, and faw great quantities of drift-wood, cocoa-nut leaves, things like cones of firs, and weed, which swam in a stream N. E. and-S.W. We had now soundings and sixty-five fathoms, with brown fand, small shells, and stones ;. and at noon, found the ship again to the northward os her reckoning ten mile?, and had decreased our soundings to twenty eight fathoms, with the fame ground. Our latitude was 8° 36'N. longitude 253° W. At two o'clock, we .faw the island of Condore, from the mast-head, bearing W. - N. At four, we had ground with twenty fathoms; the island bearing from W. to N. W. by W. distant about thirteen leagues, and having the appearance of high hummocks. The latitude of this island is 8° 40'N; longitude, by ouf.reckoning, 254°, 1-5',

We now altered our course; and the next morning Sunday e. I took, from the petty officers and seamen, all the log .. ... . and journal books relative to the voyage. . .

On the 10th, being in latitude 5* 2f/N. longitude Tuesday 10. 255° "Ws. wefaund a current setting four fathoms an hour S. by W. and our course to the islands , Timoun, Aros, and Befang, which we faw about six in the afternoon of the 13th, we were every day from Friday 13. ten to twenty rrnles southward of our reckoning.

On the 16th, at ten in the morning, we crossed the Mend. 16. line again into/outh latitude, in longitude 2550; and soon after we faw two islands, one bearing S. hy E. distant five leagues, the other S. by W- distant seven leagues. —. <-:_i

The next morning the weather became very dark TWd.. 17and tempestuous, with heavy rain; we therefore clewed all up, and lay by till we could see about us.; The two islands proved to be Pulo Tote, andPulo Wests; and having, made fail till one o'clock, we faw the Seven Islands. We continued our course till two the nextWcdnes. 18. morning, the weather being very <lark, with heavy squalls of wind, and much lightning and rain. While one of these blasts was blowing with all its violence,


[ocr errors]

and the darkness was so thick that we could not fee from one part or" the (hip to the other, we suddenly discovered, by a slash of lightning, a large vessel close aboard of us. • The steersman instantly ptft the helm a-lee, and the ship answering her rudder, we just cleared each other. This was the first ship we had seen since we parted with the Swallow; and it blew so hard, that not being able to understand any thing that was said, we could not learn to what nation she belonged.

At six, the weather having cleared up, we saw a sail at anchor in the' E. S. E. and at noon, we saw land in the W. N. W. which proved to bePulo Taya, Pulo Tote bearing S. 35° E. Pulo Weste S. 130 E. At fix in the evening we anchored in fifteen fathoms, with sandy ground; and obrerved a current running E. N. E, at the rate of five fathoms an hour. .

Tburs. 19. At six in the morning we weighed and made sail, and soon aster saw two vessels a-head; but at six in the evening, finding that we lost much ground, we came again to an anchor in fifteen fathoms, with a fine sandy

.• .—." bottom,

Friday ze- At six o'clock the next morning, the current being slack, we hove short on the small bower, which soon - aster parted at a third from the clench.: We immedidately took in the cable, and perceived that, although we had sounded with great care before we anchored, and found the bottom clear, it had been cut through -' by the rocks. After some time, the current becoming strong, a fresh gale springing up, and the ship being a great way to the leeward, I made sail, in hopes to get up and recover the anchor; but 1 found at last that it was impossible, without anchoring again ; and being asraid of the consequences of doing that in foul ground, I determined to stand on, especially as the weather was become squally.

Satar. 11. We were, however, able to make very little way till the next day, when about three in the asternoon, we saw Monopin Hill bearing S. i E. and advancing very little, saw the coast of Sumatra at half an hour

Sund. M. after six the next morning. We continued to suffer great delay by currents and calms, but' on Monday

Monday 30. the 30th of November, we anchored in Batavia Road,


[ocr errors]


Transactions at Batavia, and an Account of the Passage from thence to the Cape of Good Hope.

WE found here fourteen fail of Dutch East-India '767. ships, a great number of small veflels, and his December. Majesty's ship the Falmouth, lying upon the mud in a ^^-v^ rotten condition

I sent an officer on shore, to acquaint the Governor of our arrival, to obtain his permission to purchase refreshments, and to tell him that I would falute him, if he would engage to return an equal number of guns. The Governor readily agreed; and at sun-rise, on Tuesday the 1st of December, 1 faluted him with thir-Tnesd. 1. teen guns, which he returned with founeen from the fort. Soon after the Purser Tent off some fresh beef, and plenty of vegetables, which I ordered to be served immediately; at the fame time I called the ship's company together, and told them that.I would not suffer any liquor to come on board, and would severely punish those who should attempt to bring any: and I took some pains to reconcile them to this regulation, by assuring them that in this country intemperance would inevitably destroy them. As a surther preservative, I suffered not a man to go on shore, except those who were upon duty; and took care that none even of these straggled into the town.

On the 2d I sent the Boatswain and the Carpenter, wedn. 2. with the Carpenter of the Falmouth, to look at such of her stores as had been landed at Onrust, with orders, that if any were fit for our use they should be bought. At their return, they informed me that all the stores they had seen were rotten, and unfit for use, except one pair of tacks, which they brought with them: the masts, yards, and cables were all dropping to pieces, and even the iron work was so rusty that it was worth nothing. They also went on board the Falmouth to examine her hulk, and found her in so shattered a condition, that in their opinion she could not be kept together during the qext monsoon. Many of her ports were washed intoone, the stern-post was quite decayed,



Saturday 5

ed, and there was no place in her where a man could be sheltered from the weather. The few people who belonged to her were in as bad a state as their vessel, being quite broken and worn down, and expecting to be drowned as soon as the monsoon should set in.

Among other necessaries, we were in want of an anchor, having lost two, and of three inch rope for rounding the cables; but the officers, whom I had sent to procure these articles, reported, that the price which had been demanded for them was so exorbitant, that they had not agreed to give it. On Saturday the 5th, therefore, I went on shore myself, for the first time, and visited the different storehouses and arsenals, but found it impossible to make a better bargain than my officers. I suspected that the dealers took advantage of our apparent necessity, and supposing that we could not sail without wha{ we had offered to purchase, determined to extort from us more than four times its value. I was, however, resolved to make any shift rather than submit to what 1 thought a shameful imposition, and therefore told them that I should certainly fail on, the next Tuesday; that if they would agree to my terms in the mean time, I would take the things I had treated for; if not, that I would fail without them.

Soon aster 1 returned onboard, I received a petition from the Warrant-Officers of the Falmouth, representing, that there was nothing for them to look aster: that the Gunner had been long dead, and his stores spoiled, particularly the powder, which, by order of the Dutch, had been thrown into the sea: that the Boatswain, by vexation and distress, had lost his fenses, and was then a deplotable object in a Dutch hospital: that all his stores had been long spoiled and rotten, the roof os the storehouse having fallen in during a wet monsoon, and left them exposed many month?, all endeavours to procure another place to put them in being ineffectual: that the Carpenter was in a thing condition, and the Cook a wounded cripple. For these reasons, they requested that I would take them home, or at least dismiss them from their charge. It was with the greatest regret and compassion that I told these unhappy people it was not in my powei to relieve 1' them*

them, and that as they had received charge of stores, i767- . they must wait orders from home. They replied, that ecem er" they had never received a single order from England since they had been left here, and earnestly intreated that I would make their distress known, that it might be relieved. They had, they faid, ten years pay due, in the expectation of which they were grown old, and which now they would be content to forseit, and go home sweepers, rather than continue to suffer the miseries of their present situation, which were indeed very great. They were not suffered to spend a single night on shore, whatever was their condition, and when they were" sick, no one visited them on board; they were, besides, robbed by the Malays, and in perpetual dread of being destroyed by them, as they had a short time before burned the Siam prize. I assured them that I would do my utmost to procure them relief, and they left me with tears in their eyes.

As I heard nothing more of the anchor and rope for which I had been in treaty, I made all ready for sea. The ship's company had continued healthy and sober, and been served with fresh beef every day, from the time of our first coming to an anchor in the road; we had also some beef, and a live ox, to carry out with us. We had now only one man upon the sick list, except a seaman, who had been afflicted with rheumatic pains ever since our leaving the Streight of Magellan: and at six o'clock in the morning of Tuesday Tuesday s. the 8th of December, after a stay of just one week, we set fail.

On the nth at noon, we were off a small island Friday n. called the Cap, between the coasts of Sumatra and Java, and several of our people sell down with colds and fluxes. The next day, a Dutch boat c ime onSaturdayi:. board and fold us some turtle, which was served to the ship's company. At night, being at the distance of about two miles from the Java shore, we faw an incredible number of lights upon the beach, which we supposed were intended to draw the fish near them, as we had seen the fame appearance at other places.

On Monday the 14th, we anchored off Prince's Mond. 14. island, and began to take in wood and waier. The pext morning, the natives came in with turtle, poultry,Tuesday 15.


« ZurückWeiter »