Abbildungen der Seite

Shan Win, and other parts of the island. The coroner's inquest returned the following verdict: "Accidental Death, owing to the ammunition being conveyed on an improper truck."

Election Op Scots Peers— Thursday the election of sixteen peers, to represent the Scottish nobility in the ensuing session of parliament, took place at Holyrood-house. Their lordships were attended by Hector Macdonald Buchanan, and Colin Mackenzie, esqrs., two of the principal clerks of session, in virtue of a commission from the lord clerk register of Scotland; by the rev. Dr. Grant, of St. Andrew's church, one of the deans of the chapel royal; and the rev. Principal Macfarlan, of Glasgow, one of his majesty's chaplains for Scotland; and by other official gentlemen. The lord provost and magistrates were also present. The votes having been counted, the following sixteen noblemen were declared duly elected, viz.:—

Votes. Charles, marquess of Quecnsbury 55 George, marquess of Tweeddale.. 56

William, earl of Errol 55

Alexander, earl of Home 53

Thomas, earl of Kellie 50

Thomas, earl of Elgin 54

Archibald, earl of Rosebery .... 56

John, viscount Arbuthnot 49

James, viscount Strathallan .... 55

James, lord Forbes 51

Alexander, lord Saltoun 57

Francis, lord Gray 56

Charles, lord Sinclair 49

John, lord Colville of Culross.... 45

William, lord Napier 54

Robert, lord Belhaven 43

Votes were also given for—

William, earl of Northesk 37

Robert, lord Blantyre 1

Erie, lord Reay 17

John, lord Rollo 25

Lord Blantyre was not a candidate. The clerks having certified the return of the noble lords to Chani

eery, in presence of their lordships, the business was closed with prayer by the rev. Dr. Grant.

At the election in 1818, there were 58 voters, viz.: 27 present, 3 proxies, and 28 signed lists. Thursday there were exactly the same number of voters, 58; of whom 25 were present, 6 proxies, and 27 signed lists.

The election took place, as usual, in the Picture Gallery, and was numerously attended.

15. Cambridge Riot And Assault.—John Simpson Redhead, Charles Willimott, Samuel Bowman, James How, William Glover, Robert Burrows, Charles Edwards, and James Raby, were indicted, at the instance of the University, for having riotously assembled, in company with others, on the 5th of November last, and with having violently assaulted the proctors, the moderator, and others, in the discharge of their duty.

The Rev. Henry Venn, M.A., Fellow of Queen's-college, and junior proctor of the University, deposed, that, on the 5th of November last, at about half-past nine, he left his college, in consequence of hearing that there was a riot near the senate-house; upon reaching the spot, he found two or three hundred persons assembled, many of them gownsmen; squibs were thrown at him from the part where the townsmen stood; shortly afterwards, he heard a loud shouting on the Markethill; he was proceeding in that direction, and had arrived as far as the posts in St. Mary's-passage (in company with Mr. King, the moderator), when he heard a person exclaim, "Here they come, now for it." Two men immediately rushed from the crowd in a

fighting attitude; and one of them struck him a hard blow upon the temple, which obliged him to recede a few paces. Witness said to those near him, that he was the proctor, and he hoped they would not insult an officer of the University; witness then perceived that Mr. King was struggling with a townsman, who was secured and identified; witness remonstrated with the gownsmen, and they began to disperse immediately; he advised the townsmen to go home, but they would not attend to him; he went down Trinity-street, and found that several gownsmen had taken refuge in a door-way near the Sun Inn, surrounded by a large mob; the gownsmen appeared much terrified. After he had succeeded in getting them away, he found that some others had gone into the Sun yard, and that the gates had been shut; the mob forced the gates, and rushed into the yard with great violence; he was soon afterwards surrounded by a mob of townsmen, and struck and kicked several times. Mr. King and witness then addressed the crowd, and assured them, that there was not a single undergraduate left, and advised the townsmen to disperse; the mob rushed upon them, and used very insulting language; they asked them if they had "put all their babies to bed;" and used Other expressions of an offensive description. Witness and Mr. King proceeded towards the Marketplace, and the mob followed, hissing and hooting, and pelting them with mud and dirt; some stones were thrown at them. Witness went towards his college; when they reached Trumpington-street, he found that the fury of the mob was directed towards one of the

proctor's men, named Cockerell, whom witness advised to go home privately as soon as he could escape; the man did so, but the mob ran after him; witness was in the crowd for three hours; cannot say how many were assembled at any one time, but the crowd was very dense.

Joshua King, esq. the moderator, and the rev. N. J. Temple, the senior proctor, corroborated the testimony of Mr. Venn; and several witnesses were called to identify the prisoners.

The learned judge summed up the evidence, and the jury immediately returned their verdict, acquitting Willimott, and finding all the other defendants guilty.

The lord chief justice, after commenting upon the shades of difference in the guilt of the prisoners, and making some severe remarks upon their cowardly and dastardly conduct, in selecting the proctors, who were alone and unprotected, as the objects of their spite and malevolence, proceeded to pass sentence upon the prisoners, as follows: Redhead to be imprisoned twelve months; Raby, six months; Bowman and How, three months each; and Glover, Edwards, and Burrows, one month each; and, at the expiration of their various periods of imprisonment, all the prisoners were respectively to enter into recognizances to keep the peace for three years, themselves in 50/. and two sureties in 10/. each.

15. Meetings ix ManchesTer—On Wednesday evening, between seven and eight o'clock, upwards of 1,000 people collected in the vacant ground, near St. George's-road, and remained assembled about an hour, during which time some very inflammatory ad« dresses were made to them by two men, one a delegate from Leigh, and the other a resident in Manchester. The former told the people that they had borne their sufferings long enough, and must now do something to put an end to them. He urged them to meet in greater numbers; that all who could find arms should bring them; that the others should arm themselves at the gunsmiths' shops; and that they should then help themselves at the provision shops and the banks. The other speaker addressed the people to nearly the same effect, and they separated soon after eight o'clock, with an understanding that they were to meet again on the following night. They, consequently, assembled in greater numbers on Thursday evening, about the same hour, when speeches of a similar character to those uttered on Wednesday were again addressed to them, but by different persons. One man was particularly violent. He strongly exhorted the people to come the next night armed. A man in the crowd lifted up a large bludgeon, and asked if they were to arm themselves in that manner. The speaker replied, that would do for those who could not get better weapons ; but they must get possession of the gunsmiths' shops and the barracks; they would then be masters of every thing, and could help themselves to what they wanted. The meeting broke up about half-past eight. The greater part of the people turned along Cropper-street, into Oldham-road, where it happened that colonel Kearney, of the 2nd drageonguards, and major Eckersley, were riding, attended by a single dragoon. As soon as the mob perceived those officers, they pursued them towards New Cross, hooting, and,

in one or two instances, throwing stones at them, but without doing them any injury.

Last night, a much larger number of persons, amounting probably altogether to between four and five thousand, assembled, about eight o'clock, not in St. George's-road, but on a vacant piece of ground opposite Mr. James Kennedy's factory. After some time spent in making a ring, an Irishman, dressed in a short frock, was appointed chairman, and addressed the people for about half an hour. In the first place he called upon the delegates, who had gone to Blackburn on the preceding day, to step forward into the ring, and state the result of their mission. No delegates, however, made their appearance; and, after a short pause, he called for the man who, he said, had accompanied him to Ashton-under-Lyne; but, as he also was not forthcoming, the chairman proceeded to address the meeting with a good deal of vehemence, telling them that the weavers of Ashton were brave fellows, who were determined to have their rights, and would not run away like the weavers of Manchester, whom he stigmatized as cowards. After a long harangue, he told the people that he expected they would have come with something like this (holding up a stick) in their hands ; but they had disappointed him, and therefore he would conclude hisspeech. Another person then stepped forward, and said, he was unfortunately under sureties to keep the peace, or he would have addressed them as boldly as any man ; but if he were to say any thing, it might cost him a great deal of money. He would, however, observe, that they, no doubt, thought themselves oppressed, and men who were op

pressed had always a right to stand up for themselves. The incessant efforts of so large a body of people to hear what passed caused the ring to be broken in, and the people then separated. A posting-bill, of which the following is a copy, was circulated :— PUBLIC NOTICE. We, the undersigned magistrates for the county of Lancaster, have observed, with great regret, that certain evil-disposed persons, strangers in Manchester, have, within the last few days, been endeavouring to excite the peaceable and well-disposed inhabitants, by inflammatory language and addresses, to acts of outrage and insubordination; and, in furtherance of their wicked object, have given notices of public meetings to be held in the evenings of several days in the present week, at which such strangers have been the principal speakers, and the meetings have been protracted to late hours of the night;Now, we do hereby declare our opinion, that all such meetings are illegal, as having a manifest and direct tendency to a breach of the peace, which it is our duty to protect. We, therefore, caution all persons not to attend any such meetings, nor in any respect to be induced, by the wicked and mischievous, to engage in proceedings, which must bring upon them all the consequences attending such illegal conduct. Given under our hands this 15th July, 1826, New Bailey Court-House. J. NORRIS,

J. Silvester,
James Brierley,
J. Hibbert,
J. Foster.

Limberg.—-Yesterday the great tower, known by the name of the Town-hall Tower, built in 1491, fell down. Only a few persons were killed, among whom were the daughter of the keeper of the tower, a girl of 15, and two grenadiers of the garrison, whom curiosity had attracted to the spot. Little other mischief was done, because the indication of the danger, which appeared in the course of the day, had attracted the attention of persons in the neighbourhood, who were all prepared for flight. The tower fell in the manner least calculated to do injury. The tower walls gave way, and the upper part of the building sank down in the centre, filling up the space, and what there was not room for fell into the square on the west side, where the hackney coaches usually stand; but they had been removed on account of the building of the Town-hall. For a short time, however, the citizens were in great anxiety, because the vast cloud of dust made it impossible to see what damage had been done. The great bell has been found uninjured among the rubbish.

Riots In LancashireMiddleton 16 July.—About twelve o'clock last night the inhabitants of this place were surprised by the sudden appearance of 250 or 260 men armed with sticks and bludgeons. At the time of their arrival every thing was going on as usual; shops and public houses were open, and people were looking after their ordinary concerns. But the unexpected intrusion of these strangers caused an instant change in the appearance of things—every body was filled with amazement or alarm. The rioters came from towards Manchester, and halted in the Market-place. Some of them were heard to say, "Here are shops, we can help ourselves to provisions; and here are shoes, let us each get a pair." They came in military array, and halted in their ranks, at the word of command. By their speech, their leaders were known to be Irish. One man spoke aloud, and said, "If any honest man is prepared with arms, and disposed to join us, he will be made welcome"—but nobody came out—not one inhabitant of Middleton joined them. Presently a noise was heard, and a cry that the soldiers were coming. Some then left their ranks, but the main body passed up Wood-street, and retreated across a place called Archer-park, and the Great-Park, into the old road to Manchester, by whichrout they escaped. A party of the Queen's bays, now made their appearance, accompanied by two magistrates, the Boroughreeve of Manchester, and several constables. Nothing, however, was now left for them to do, but to look after odd stragglers, two of whom were taken and conveyed to Manchester, having confessed they came with the mob. Three others were taken by a watchman. After the retreat of the rioters, the soldiers paraded the streets and lanes, and were received at several places with hooting and shouting, and other expressions of disapprobation, but no stones were thrown, nor any violence offered.

18. Drought.—" Warsaw. We have not experienced, in the memory of the oldest inhabitant, such excessive heat as we have had this year. In 1821, the heat was of longer continuance, but did not rise to 27 (95). The Sardinian ambassador to the Russian court, when he passed through this city,

declared that he had never felt such heat, even in Italy. The state of the atmosphere does not alarm us, as we have rain from time to time; but the rivers are so low, that all communication by water is suspended."

SuperstitionTralee, July 24.—Ann Roche, a woman of very advanced age, was indicted for the murder of Michael Leahy, a young child, by drowning him in the Flesk. The case turned out to be a homicide committed under a delusion of the grossest superstition. The child, though four years old, could neither stand, walk, nor speak (it was thought to be fairy struck), and the grandmother ordered the prisoner and one of the witnesses to bathe the child every morning in that pool of the river Flesk where the boundaries of three farms met; they had so bathed it for three mornings running; and, on the last morning the prisoner kept the child longer under water than usual, when her companion (the witness) said to the prisoner, "How can you hope ever to see God after this?" to which the prisoner replied, "that the sin was on the grandmother, and not on her."

Upon cross-examination, the witness said it was not done with intent to kill the child, but to cure it—to put the fairy out of it. To the policeman who apprehended her, on charging her with drowning the child, she said it was no matter if it had died four years ago. VerdictNot Guilty.

Aerostation By Night.— "About seventeen minutes past ten o'clock," says Mr. Green, "I ascended from the gardens in Vauxhall. On quitting the gardens we kept nearly in a line over the Thames for about two miles. We crossed

« ZurückWeiter »