Abbildungen der Seite

for a short time practiced at North Yakima, but soon moved to Montesano, where he spent the rest of his life, with the exception of four years' practice at Aberdeen while off the bench. He was twice married. His first wife was the daughter of ex-Governor W. A. Newell, of the Territory of Washington. In 1894 he married Miss Emma L. Hepfinger, by whom he had six children, all of whom survive him and her. Mrs. Irwin, after several years' illness, died a few months before his death.

Mason Irwin was the finest type of man and judge. He was broad and tolerant in his views of men and things. He was kindliness and courtesy personified. He had the judicial temperament in a high degree. He accumulated little property and died in very moderate circumstances. But he held a high position in the esteem of the community, and the bar. His death is a distinct and severe loss to all of us.

MARION D. EGBERT. March 27, 1916, in South Bend, after an illness of a year, during which he kept to his work in the office of the deputy collector of customs and justice of the peace, Marion D. Egbert died, at the age of seventy-two. He came to Southwestern Washington in early days. His body was removed to his former home at Walla Walla, where the stores were closed and business suspended during the hour of his funeral, as also at South Bend. He was born in Lebanon, Ohio, June 3, 1844, and there was married to Miss Alice Edwards, who survives him. He enlisted in May, 1863, in Company M, 86th Ohio Volunteer Infantry; served in the Ninth Army Corps under Gen. Burnside, and later through the Knoxville campaign. He re-enlisted in the 146th O. V. I. and served to the end of the war. He was injured in the face by the explosion of a magazine and by a special act of Congress was awarded a pension. After the war he studied law with Corwin & Sage in Lebanon, and also in the Michigan University. He practiced law in Lebanon and Cincinnati until May, 1882, when he came West, and in Walla Walla founded and edited the Walla Walla Journal, making it one of the best edited and most widely read papers in the Northwest.

Associated with him was the late Fred G. Reed, who came to South Bend with him and for a time edited the South Bend Journal. Egbert served five terms as police judge, and was justice of the peace for fifteen years prior to his death. For twelve years he was Superior Court commissioner. He served as deputy fish commissioner and at the time of his death was deputy collector of customs. He was widely known as a writer and had a special gift for character sketches. When in the active newspaper business he was a remarkable news gatherer and made his paper famous for its local news and its sketches of local history. He wrote poems and short sketches enough to make a large volume. As was well said of him by Senator Welsh, "his writings revealed the man; human sympathy, tenderness and kindness pervade them. With him mercy and justice were inseparable—the one did not exist without the other." He is survived by a wife and son.

BAMFORD A. ROBB. April 3, 1916, in Seattle, at the age of forty-three, Bamford A. Robb died. He was born in Jacksonville, Oregon. He practiced law in Idaho and at one time was a prominent factor in the Republican politics of that state. He served as chief clerk in the office of the United States surveyor general at Boise. He lived at Tacoma for a time and went to Seattle in the fall of 1902. His wife survives him.

ANTON C. ARNTSON. April 30, 1916, in Tacoma, Anton Cornelius Arntson died at the age of sixty-six. He was a native of Wisconsin and had resided in Tacoma twenty-nine years. In early life he taught school in several counties in Wisconsin; got into politics and served as register of deeds three terms at Montevideo. Settling in Tacoma in January, 1887, he was elected justice of the peace; served two terms and then entered upon the practice of law. He left a widow and four daughters.

CHARLES K. JENNER. May 13, 1916, in Seattle, one of the pioneer lawyers of that city, Charles Kirkham Jenner, died. He was born September 15, 1846, in the then frontier settlement of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. His father, Dr. Jenner, was a native of Vermont and a descendant of the Massachusetts colonists of the early Seventeenth century. His mother was born in the state of New York of Irish parentage. Soon after the discovery of gold in Sutter's Creek, California, Dr. Jenner crossed the plains to San Francisco; the family following him in the summer of 1852 and making the journey from Milwaukee by the Great Lakes, the Erie Canal and the Isthmus of Panama. From 1852 to 1857 young Jenner attended the public schools of San Francisco. He afterwards took the course of study at Sotoyoma Academy and got well grounded in Latin and Greek. At nineteen he took to school teaching. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in February, 1871, at the age of twenty-four. He became an expert in the litigation arising over the Spanish grants in that state. In 1870 he was married to Miss Cornelia E. Comstock, a native of Owego, New York. To this union seven children were born-four in California and three in Washington Territory-of whom the six youngest survive. In December, 1876, he and his family removed to Seattle, then a village of some two thousand inhabitants. He obtained employment as bookkeeper at the Newcastle mines, to which he took his family by canoe across Lake Washington. He taught night school to the miners and did some desultory law work. In 1879 the family returned to Seattle. In that year Mr. Jenner formed a law partnership with Judge Orange Jacobs, which endured for more than twelve years. Thereafter he practiced law with his son-in-law, Louis H. Legg, and with Solon T. Williams. Following the bent of his Spanish grant studies in California, Mr. Jenner made a special study of United States land laws and became an expert in that line. He procured a patent, as a coal entry, to the first school section in any of the school grant states. This was for Section 36 at Newcastle, and his success established a precedent in the United States land department. He was a model family man and made his children the closest of companions. His first wife died in December, 1891. He was afterwards married to Miss Clara Hough, who survives him. Judge Cornelius H. Hanford and Judge Thomas Burke are the only men who were at the bar in Seattle when Jenner arrived there. He was a courteous gentleman and scholarly lawyer, who endeared himself to the brethren at the bar by a course of conduct which left nothing to be desired.

JOHN KELLEHER. May 16, 1916, in Seattle, one of the well-beloved members of the bar, John Kelleher, died. He was born January 8, 1864, near Fenton, Livingston County, Michigan, and was graduated from the law class of the University of Michigan in 1891, in wbich year he came to Seattle and entered upon practice. In 1899 he formed a partnership with George E. Wright, under the firm name of Wright & Kelleher, which firm later changed to Wright, Kelleher & Caldwell, and changed this year to Wright, Kelleher & Allen, when Mr. Caldwell was elected corporation counsel of Seattle. Mr. Kelleher left a widow and two children. There was no more respected man at the Seattle bar; everybody had confidence in the absolute honesty of John Kelleher.

W. T. FORREST. May 22, 1916, in Tacoma, W. T. Forrest died. He was born in Jefferson County, Iowa, July 7, 1849. He was graduated from the Iowa Central University, a Baptist institution, and afterwards from the Iowa State University in the law department June 20, 1882. He began the practice of law in Jefferson County in October, 1882; came to Washington in 1883, and settled at Chehalis, where he resumed the practice in 1884. In 1886 he was elected mayor of Chebalis and served one term. He was elected to the last Territorial Legislature as a Representative from Lewis County. In 1889 he was elected commissioner of public lands for the state, and re-elected in 1892. After his retirement from office he went to Alaska for the benefit of his health. In 1901 he opened an abstract ofice in Seattle and continued in that business until 1909, when continued ill-health and failing eyesight compelled him to sell out. He spent three years away from Seattle trying to regain health; returned to that city to try to adjust business affairs, but never afterwards resumed the practice of law.

LUCIUS B. NASH. May 26, 1916, in Spokane, Lucius B. Nash died of abdominal trouble at the age of seventy-eight, with five of his six children at his bedside. He was born March 12, 1838, in Chautauqua County, New York. He came to Walla Walla in 1873, to Seattle in 1876, and to Spokane in 1879. He was a judge of the Supreme Court of the Territory of Washington from 1888 until the state was admitted to the Union. He was commander of Reno post, G. A. R., and a pioneer member of this State Bar Association. Until March, 1915, he served as receiver of the United States land office at Spokane. Former Senator George Turner said of him: "He was exceptionally able and eloquent in addressing the court or a jury, and possessed a inely developed sense of humor. After he succeeded me as territorial judge on the bench at North Yakima, he smilingly appointed me to defend half a dozen hoboes charged with box car burglary. Judge Nash was noted for his happy, congenial humor, his love for his home, in which he was always to be found when not at his office." An acquaintance of thirty years said of him: "He was the most original man I ever heard talk. He was a man who, it called upon at any sort of a gathering, could talk intelligently on any subject, and entertainingly, too." Frank Graves said of him: "He had so many highly distinguished traits and characteristics that it is hard to enumerate them. He was exceedingly agreeable to practice with, and to practice before when on the bench." His last appearance before the public was on Washington's birthday this year, when he addressed a gathering of G. A. R. members at the armory.

P. D. HUGHES. July 14, 1916, in Seattle, Patrick Donahue Hughes died. His Christrian name was given in honor of his uncle, who was in his day quite noted as the proprietor and editor of the Boston Pilot, the leading Roman Catholic newspaper in the United States. P. D. Hughes was born in Toronto, Canada, in 1863. He served with the Queen's Own Rifles in the Riel Indian rebellion, and there acquired the rank of captain, which title was always bestowed upon him. He came to Seattle from Toronto in 1888. He studied law and was admitted to the bar and entered upon the general practice. He was known as a sport enthusiast and since the outbreak of the European war, he served as president of the British-American Relief Society, to which he gave much of his time and his well-known energy. He is survived by a widow and three children. He was exceptionally popular and always lovingly referred to as “P. D."

RICHARD G. HUTCHINSON. July 17, 1916, in Spokane, Richard Gill Hutchinson died. He was born April 3, 1874, in Shawana County, Wisconsin; attended the public schools in that state and was graduated from the University of Wisconsin at Madison; was admitted to the bar and practiced law at Marinette for several years. He was elected prosecuting attorney of his county. In 1905 he came to Puget Sound to look after some interests held by Marinette people in Washington. After fulfilling that mission, he decided to remain, and he entered into partnership with John Arthur in Seattle. In Judge Poindexter's campaign for United States Senator, Mr. Hutchinson, who in Wisconsin had been an ardent supporter of Robert M. LaFollette, took the stump in support of the Poindexter campaign and so endeared himself to Judge Poindexter that the latter induced him to leave Seattle, go to Spokane and enter into his law business there. Since that time he had resided in Spokane and at the time of his death was the deputy prosecuting attorney. Prosecutor White said of him: “The death of Mr. Hutchinson came as a shock to us, as we considered him a true friend, fearless, and a gentleman in every sense of the word. In all his dealings with unfortunates who were in trouble he was humane and sympathetic. He was a deputy in this office since January, 1915, and all cases handled by him were prosecuted with absolute fairness, no advantage being taken of the defendant on trial. Spokane County has lost an honorable member of the bar who had the respect of all the judges. In this hour of bereavement my sympathy goes out to Mrs. Hutchinson and family.” To these sentiments the Chairman of this Committee most heartily subscribes. In 1908 he was married in Seattle to Miss Elizabeth McGillis, who survives him with three children, Joan, aged seven; John, aged three; and Ellen, aged two. Ho was a member of the St. Aloysius Parish, the Knights of Columbus, and the Spokane Amateur Athletic club. A brother, Dr. John L. Hutchinson, resides in Seattle.

WILLIAM J. BOTHWELL. July 17, 1916, in Seattle, a former city comptroller of that city and a member of the bar, William J. Bothwell, died. He had not entered very actively into the practice of law, but was always regarded with respect by the members of the bar as one of themselves. He resided in Seattle since 1890 and during that time had been successively bookkeeper, soldier, lawyer, real estate man, oyster breeder and city comptroller, and an unsuccessful candidate for the office of city treasurer. He was twenty-one years old when he came to Seattle

« ZurückWeiter »