« ZurückWeiter »
For this immediate levy, he commends
First Tri. Is Lucius general of the forces ?
With those legions
Wales : near the cave of Belarius.
Clo. I am near to the place where they should meet, if Pisanio have mapped it truly. How fit his garments serve me! Why should his mistress, who was made by him that made the tailor, not be fit too? the rather-saving reverence of the word—for 'tis said a woman's fitness comes by fits. Therein I must play the workman. I dare speak it to myself—for it is not vain-glory for a man and his glass to confer in his own chamber-I mean, the lines of my body are as well drawn as his; 10 no less young, more strong, not beneath him in
9. commends, delivers. Warburton's emendation of Ff commands.
14. supplyant, auxiliary.
fortunes, beyond him in the advantage of the time, above him in birth, alike conversant in general services, and more remarkable in single oppositions : yet this imperseverant thing loves him in my despite. What mortality is ! Posthumus, thy head, which now is growing upon thy shoulders, shall within this hour be off; thy mistress enforced ; thy garments cut to pieces before thy face: and all this done, spurn her home to her 20 father ; who may haply be a little angry for my so rough usage ; but my mother, having power of his testiness, shall turn all into my commendations. My horse is tied up safe: out, sword, and to a sore purpose ! Fortune, put them into my hand! This is the very description of their meeting-place; and the fellow dares not deceive me.
SCENE II. Before the cave of Belarius.
Enter, from the cave, BELARIUS, GUIDERIUS,
ARVIRAGUS, and IMOGEN.
here in the cave ;
[To Imogen) Brother, stay here: Are we not brothers ?
12. the advantage of the time, interpretation : more remarkthe prestige of worldly station. able in single combats.'
15. imperseverant, undiscern14. more remarkable in single ing. The word was, in popular oppositions, more distinguished use, connected with 'perceive.' when compared in particular ac Dyce (followed by Globe and complishments (Schmidt). Clo. Camb. edd.) needlessly inditen's language is vague, but this cated this by the spelling imseems preferable to the usual perceiverant.
I am very
So man and man should be ;
Imo. So sick I am not, yet I am not well;
custom Is breach of all. I am ill, but your being by me Cannot amend me; society is no comfort To one not sociable: I am not very sick, Since I can reason of it. Pray you, trust me here: I'll rob none but myself; and let me die, Stealing so poorly. Gui.
I love thee; I have spoke it : How much the quantity, the weight as much, As I do love
What! how ! how !
[Aside] O noble strain !
8. SO citizen a wanton, so (cf. As You Like It, ii. 7. effeminately pampered. Citizen, 75). after the fashion of the notori 10. journal, daily, habitual. ously luxurious city - women 14. reason, discourse.
You health. So please you, sir.
what lies I have heard !
I could not stir him :
To the field, to the field
Arv. We'll not be long away.
Pray, be not sick,
Well or ill,
And shalt be ever.
[Exit Imogen, to the cave. This youth, howe'er distress'd, appears he hath
How angel-like he sings !
Nobly he yokes
A smiling with a sigh, as if the sigh
I do note
Clo. I cannot find those runagates ; that villain Hath mock'd me.
I am faint. Bel.
“Those runagates !' Means he not us? I partly know him : 'tis Cloten, the son o'the queen.
I fear some ambush.
brother search What companies are near : pray you, away; Let me alone with him.
[Exeunt Belarius and Arviragus. Clo.
What are you
58. spurs, branching roots of twine with; cf. v. 122 below. a tree. 60. vine, i.e. patience ; un
61. great morning, broad
day (grand jour). twine with is constructed as if it were the negative the verb 71. mountaineers, savages.